CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Shock Collars??

Before I ask for advice I must say out loud that this is 2 days in a row that I am posting...wow!!

So onto my dog, Duke as cute and rewarding as he is is a puppy with a hard head and forgets to use his thinker quite often. Some issues that "bug" me are getting rough when playing, you just can't do that with little kids around. He also likes to take food and we are working real hard on he has to stay out of kitchen at meal times and all food is to be eating at the table. He also is aloud scraps but in his food bowl and ONLY when everyone is finished and he is called, it's work in progress but he still tries to approach high chairs and the garbage. He also chews up everything he can find, we have bought him so many toys and he loves them but he will not stop. Then there is the infamous running off and not coming back until a group of people catch him or he feels like it. Now he doesn't do that to Brit just me and the kids. Brit keeps saying you have to get control over him and I know this but I have tried everything and he just looks at me like " um ya whatever lady". I have spanked him, rewarded him for good behavior and tried using his kennel for a "time-out". All Brit has to do is look at him or say his name and he is at his beck and call. Not fair...I'm here all day...everyday!! So a lady I know has a golden retriever and has had a few in the past and she suggested using a shock collar. I thought it was a dread full idea but she said she used to think so until she tried it and her dogs have responded well and quickly. So as time goes on and he continues to do these things I have started considering using one. I just can't seem to get over the cruelty of it, I know the shock isn't that strong but Ouch! Maybe that's why it works so well ? So what do you think? Have you ever used one?

6 comments:

The Wangsness Family said...

Lets just say i dont agree with shock collars at all. Kyle would chew your ass for even considering the fact. It is very mean. Yes people say it dont hurt them to much but it does. Just keep him on the chain and dont let him run around inside the gate even with the gates closed. Keep him chained up.

the boedecker family said...

I understand your point of view and Kyles but honestly he doesn't have a right to "chew my ass" for anything. I do chain the dog up but that is not the only problem, I was just asking opinions!

The Wangsness Family said...

I wasnt yelling at you. He wouldnt actually chew your ass persay he would just state his strong opinion i know you chain him up just try to be more careful. I know its hard with kids around possibly letting Duke out. I just feel that shock collars are very cruel. I have been zaped by them on my hand. Some have sone pretty good bites. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Barb, we use a shock collar for our Brittany Spaniel and he responds to it very well. You can buy ones that you can adjust the settings so you can set it very low at first and then if they dont respond you can turn it up one notch. They sell really nice ones at Cabelas, you can look at their website. Ruger knows that if it is on him, he needs to behave.

Before using a collar both you and your dog need to be clear on what the commands are such as sit, come, etc. Then you have to make sure that you give the verbal command before you shock them. They also sell ones now that give a little beep or vibrate before it actually shocks the dog and your dog will quickly learn that this is when is needs to behave.

I have actually tried the shock collar on my leg because I was against using it at first, but after I tried it and relized that it wasn't bad it made me feel better about using it on Ruger.

Hope this isn't too confusing and if it is you can always ask Kari.

Talk to you later, Sara Rentschler

Tracy said...

I know that they work for alot of dogs but I am not sure what I would do. I have the same feelings as you about them. It would be hard though...our black lab would always run away and I'd have to call Mark to go and find her. We chained her up and she stayed put. But if one of us let her out without the chain...she'd be off and running again. Both of our dogs chewed on things for a very long time. Eventually they outgrew it. Being rough with the kids...hmmmm?? I would have Maggie (black lab) on the opposite level of the house that the kids were. Wilson (rat terrier) is put in our bedroom for most of the day. That helps with the (daycare) kids. I know it's not always possible in everyone's house though to separate the two.

Kari said...

Barb,
I say as long as you use it on the dog and not the kids go for it! I'm KIDDING!!!

I agree with Sara, as long as you clearly communicate with the dog and are using it properly then it should work out for you. I think the collars are a "get what you pay for" type deal though. So make sure that you invest in a good one.

That's my opinion.... since you asked.... :)